On 14th Day of April, the Prime Minister of India “Mr. Narendra Damodardas Modi has requested to people of India to follow the advisory of Ministry of Ayush to boost immunity system (the body’s natural defence system), so in order to help people I hereby reproducing the aforesaid advisory to boost immunity system issued by Ministry of Ayush.
In the wake of the Covid 19 outbreak, entire mankind across the globe is suffering. While there is no medicine for COVID-19 as of now, it will be good to take preventive measure.
We all know that prevention is better than cure. Enhancing the body’s natural defence system (immunity system) plays an important role in maintaining optimum health.
Ayurveda plays a vital role in our daily routine. It is a plant-based science. Ayurveda’s extensive knowledge base on preventive care, derives from the concepts of “Dinacharya” – Daily Regimes and “Ritucharya”– seasonal regimes to maintain healthy life.
Ministry of AYUSH recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health. These are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications.
General Measures to boost Immunity System
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH (#YOGAatHome #StayHome #StaySafe)
- Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures toboost Immunity System
- Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
- Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
- Golden Milk- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk once or twice a day.
Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
- Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
- Oil pulling therapy– Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
During dry cough / sore throat
- Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day.
- Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
- These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
NOTE: THE ABOVE MEASURES CAN BE FOLLOWED TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE AS PER AN INDIVIDUAL’S CONVENIENCE
These measures are recommended by following eminent Vaidyas from across the Country as they may possibly boost an individual’s immunity against infections.
- Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore;
- Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi;
- Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal;
- Vaidya Jayant Devpujari, Nagpur;
- Vaidya Vinay Velankar, Thane;
- Vaidya B S Prasad, Belgaum;
- Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh, Jamnagar;
- Acharya Balkrishna ji, Haridwar;
- Vaidya M S Baghel, Jaipur;
- Vaidya R B Dwivedi, Hardoi UP ;
- Vaidya K N Dwivedi, Varanasi;
- Vaidya Rakesh Sharma, Chandigarh;
- Vaidya Abichal Chattopadhyay, Kolkata;
- Vaidya Tanuja Nesari, Delhi;
- Vaidya Sanjeev Sharma, Jaipur;
- Vaidya Anup Thakar, Jamnagar